Thursday, February 7, 2019

Pre-Diabetes - More than a Simple Phrase

From my mother's side of the family, I carry a risk of Type 2 diabetes. Since all of my aunts and uncles developed the condition, the risk is strong. Over the past three years, my fasting glucose (sugar) levels and HbA1c numbers have been slowly rising. They rose out of the normal range and into the "Pre-diabetes" range.

I knew these numbers were trouble. I knew I needed a change in diet and exercise. 

Diet-and-exercise. This phrase has such a familiar rhythm now, doesn't it? Diet-and-exercise, diet-and-exercise. We hear it from our doctors and nurses, on television, in ads. The words run together, and the reality blurs. So I settled my weight in the obesity range and kept it there, leveled off my activity, and drifted.

In October 2018, the drifting screeched to a halt. The HbA1c number (which measures the average of your blood sugar over the past 3 months) reached the bottom of the DIABETES range. Gasp!! Wake up time. One thing I do NOT want do is tell any insurance company that I have a diabetes diagnosis. My nurse practitioner gives the ultimatum. Four months. Count 'em. Four. The HbA1c needs to be back down in the pre-diabetes range in four months... or else. 

To manage this, she suggests Carbohydrate Counting so I'll lower my carbohydrate intake from starch, sugars, fruits, and milk, and a nutrition class. I'm on board. The nutrition class is also a wake up. 

Here comes the point.

I'd been strolling along in the pre-diabetes range for three years. YEARS. The nutritionist explained that during that time, my body has been floating in excess sugar, not a whole lot, mind you, but enough that at the cellular level, and especially at the nerves, damage is already beginning, causing my body to age faster. 

Oh no. Aging faster. This is not what I want to hear. Clearly I needed to hear it.

And you might need to hear it, too. If your doctor or nurse tells you that your blood glucose or HbA1c is in the pre-diabetes range, don't shrug and wait for the diabetes diagnosis. Ask for help, see a nutritionist, figure out a better food plan, move more, start monitoring your fasting glucose levels. Get motivated. Now. Your nerves, your cells, and your body will all thank you for it! 

For more information, see:
Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) Test for Diabetes [WedMD]
Eating Patterns and Meal Planning [American Diabetes Association]



Get busy spending your time being healthy, or get busy spending your time managing a disease. Your choice. 

I'll let you know how my choices are going. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment