Thursday, August 1, 2019

I'm a Victim of Sloppy Driving

Back in March I got rear-ended by a sloppy driver.

Thank Heavens, the bumper on my sedan did its job, and I was not hurt.

The other driver's car did not fare as well with a crumpled bumper and grate, and the hood popped open and bent. I have no idea whether the man was injured or not since he took off before we could exchange information. The way he buzzed out, I'd say he was at least conscious.

I have decent insurance, so after the expected conversations with witnesses, the police, the insurance company, the repair shop and the general hassles, my car was repaired. Lots of good happening after that first jolt.

This man's sloppy driving du jour?  Taking his eyes off the road while the wheels were moving.  Witnesses say he was looking down, hit me, and looked up in shock. Oops! Or something much more colorful.

Sloppy driving seems to abound these days here in the North Carolina Triangle. It irritates me, because it seems that sloppiness comes from simple inattention or no acknowledgement that there are other people on the road. Or perhaps more often, if other drivers are acknowledged, they're just in the way of me getting to where I want to be! [My mind-reading. Admittedly not my best skill.]

So here are my examples of Sloppy Driving that I see every day. All of these have a danger factor attached. Note: Rear-ended!
  • Taking eyes off the road any time your wheels are in motion. (As mentioned)
  • Phone in one hand to read mail (or text or talk or fill in the blank.)
  • Always driving at least 15 to 20 mph over the posted speed limit.
  • Driving without headlights or running lights during a pouring rainstorm.
  • Begin a move to another lane and block one or two lanes of traffic for a couple of signal light cycles in the process.
  • Never using a turn signal, using a turn signal after the move has been completed.
  • Tailgating - yes, I can see the color of your eyes.
  • Drifting. Slowly, so slowly into my lane. Includes straddling the center lane line for several seconds. 
Any of this sound familiar? Where do you live and what seems to be a popular example of Sloppy Driving there? Is there a hashtag for this (#SloppyDriving)? If not we need one.

Have a wonderful day... and watch out for Sloppy Driving!




1 comment: