Saturday, May 11, 2019

Exquisite Timing Leads To A Clinical Trial

Back in February (Pre-Diabetes Wake-up!), I shared with you my doctor's warning about controlling my glucose levels and my weight.  She referred me to a nutritionist, and because of the pre-diabetes, I was placed in a class for others like me -- on the edge of an unsettling diagnosis.

In the class, I learned a lot about pre-diabetes and the ways our bodies may or may not process sugars and carbohydrates as well as they used to. I also got a food plan, personalized for me. 

I started. I followed the plan. I was losing weight. My blood glucose levels were slowly dropping. But I found that I was generally more tired and not feeling quite right.

Here Comes EXQUISITE TIMING.  One of my favorite miracles of life.

You've experienced it. I know you have. It's when a chance occurrence drops into life at just the right moment to make a difference, to avoid calamity.  Like...

It's been raining all day, but just in time for a wedding ceremony, the sun pours through the stained glass windows bathing the couple in light.

I'm trying to decide if my mother should have a special brain operation to drain the rising fluid in her tissues, and on my flight to Kansas City, a neurosurgeon who does this kind of operation every day "just happens" to sit next to me and offer advice when I need it most. 

My car dies on a busy highway and a "repo man" with a tow truck appears from the nearby gas station and says, "I'm not the tow service you're calling, but I can get you out of the road and safely into that gas station. Hop in!"

There's even a race horse named Exquisite Timing. Don't know if the horse lived up to its name, but I'm sure the owners hoped that it would.

Fred Campbell, in his book Religious Integrity for Everyone: Functional Theology for Secular Society, describes Exquisite Timing as that experience we all have when events and lives and nature all converge in one point in time to create some extraordinary, inexplicable outcome. 

Theist that I am, I call these "God Moments". 

So here I am with pre-diabetes and a food plan that doesn't quite work and on the last day of my class, the instructors hand out a flyer for a clinical trial for adults with pre-diabetes run by a Duke University nutrition group. Sounds perfect. Is perfect.

I call. I'm accepted into the trial, into the experimental group. And off I go into 16 weeks of a new journey in this healthy living change I'm trying to make. 

EXQUISITE TIMING. 

I'll let you know how the trial went next week.


Blessings on your day... and keep an eye out for exquisite timing!

1 comment: